Saturday, February 21, 2009

Prague - Day 4, Vienna Night 1

I forgot to tell all of you that Jeff and I found the only Mexican restaurant in Prague on Thursday night! Since Judy and Jeff like Mexican so much, we thought we would follow suit! We ate at this awesome place called Cantina, which is on the Mala Strana side of Prague...great veggie fajitas!!!! And Cher and Dale - they had your Corona!!!

The next morning, we headed back over the Charles Bridge towards Mala Strana to pick up our Prague painting from "Igor Grek" gallery. The painting depicts the beautiful red roofs of the city and has the castle and cathedral in the background...BEAUTIFUL!!!! We were running a little late, so we basically ran back to the hotel, checked out, and jumped on the express train to Vienna. The views from the train were great - the Austrian country side was very snowy!!










The train is a little over 3 hours, but they had a dining cart and bar, so we were happy! The funniest thing - we got a small bite to eat on the train. Jeff was in heaven, they had cheese sticks and they are considered to be a Prague staple! BUT, they serve them with TARTAR SAUCE! WHAT??? Very funny. Jeff also had a "Budvar," which is actually Budweiser. The American's stole it from the Czech!!! See how the bottle says "original" all over it! HA HA HA...










We arrived in Vienna around 5:30. The city is much busier than Prague. People are also dressed up a lot more than the Czech's; fur coats, hats, heels. Our hotel, Hotel Imperial, is on the Southern tip of Central Viena, a great location for shopping and seeing the top 10 spots. The hotel, rich in tradition, opened in 1873 and soon turned into a meeting place for Austro-Hungarian nobility. The hotel has been frequented by many officials of the state, great atrists, musicians, actors, etc. Richard Wagner lived here for a few weeks and it was also second home to Bismarck. Believe it or not, we also read that Charlie Chaplin thought it was the finest hotel he had ever lived in, an opinion shared by the Queen of England!!! I can see why, the rooms are full of detail and decorated with a traditional Austrian manner.



















Upon checking in, we had just enough time to grab dinner before it got too late. We ate at this quaint little seafood restaurant around the corner from our hotel. It was really nice to have a good meal....no offense to the Czechs, but I needed a real meal! After dinner we stopped off at "The Ring" which is a cute, trendy, hotel/vodka bar. See the pics from both the inside and out...very cool.









This morning we got up early and walked literally, all over Vienna. It is really an amazing place. I will update the blog later with all the top sights, as well as an update on the Opera. Since we are in the city of music, we thought no trip would be complete without a trip to the Staatsoper. The Vienna State Opera attracts music lovers from all over the world. We are very excited for tonight!!!!

2 comments:

  1. HI...I finally got the hang of "commenting" sheesh. I LOVE the pictures!! It looks like so much fun there! What a great adventure! I can't wait to hear about the Opera. Did Jeff have to buy a tux? :)So glad you are having a great time together. The babies are doing well. Jorgie is "playing" with his fuzzy bed, if you get my drift and Jackie is sniffing around. We have about 1/2 foot of snow and she hates going outside. Jorgie loves it and looks like a mini polar bear. He is REALLY "Playing" on his bed now and Jackie is on TOP of him joining in. Weird stuff! We all miss you! Have fun and keep the pictures coming. :) love you, Mom/Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having the best time. The opera was amazing..I seriously think it was one of the best moments of my life!!! No, Jeff didn't have to buy a tux, he just wore slacks and a jacket. I'm glad to hear that Jorgie is playing with his fuzzy bed, it obviously means he feels at home. I miss those 2 little babies and my little Josie at home. I'm not sure what Jackie's obsession with "dominating" Jorgie is, but it sure is funny to watch her run after him during his "play time."

    ReplyDelete